General submissions in poetry, fiction, nonfiction, comics, and translation are open November 1 - January 1 and April 1 - June 1.
To cover operational costs, we must charge a $3 fee for each submission. Plus, it's easier for everyone (and the environment) to save that in printing and mailing costs. If, for reasons of financial hardship, you cannot afford to pay the submission fee, please send us an email at editor at drunkenboat dot com.
We strongly encourage you to take a look at previous issues and see if you think your work is a good fit.
Simultaneous submissions are fine, but we ask that you notify us immediately if the work is accepted elsewhere. You can use this handy system to withdraw, or leave a note on your submission.
We only consider previously unpublished work. That includes work published on personal blogs, sorry.
We aim for a two-month response time, but we're only human. If it's been more than 3 months, or you have other questions, please send an email with the subject "Query" to editor @ drunkenboat.com
The chapbook imprint of Drunken Boat, Anomalous Press is currently reading chapbook-length manuscripts of poetry (translations and hybrid / intergenre work encouraged) between October 15th and November 15th. Aesthetically, we are excited by work that isn’t afraid to take risks and is difficult by necessity. Translations and experimental work are welcome. We highly encourage the work of women, people of color, differently abled people, and queer, trans, and gender nonconforming folk.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- There is no fee to submit.
- Submit via Submittable by November 15th at 11:59 pm EST.
- Submissions between 12-48 pages are favored. However, exceptions can be made for longer submissions if we feel a strong connection to the work.
- It is optional for the author's name to be on the title page.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, however entrants must notify Anomalous Press if a manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Previously published work is permitted, as long as it hasn't already been published as a book in its entirety.
- Submit a manuscript as a single .pdf or .doc document and include a cover letter with a brief biographical note in the Submittable page section. You may include an acknowledgements page in your manuscript.
- Feel free to email Assistant Books Editor Ebony E. Chinn at ebony (at) drunkenboat dot com with any questions
Folios are reviewed on an ongoing basis.